
"At first, maybe people were looking at me differently, and talking about me because I wasnt working anymore", "I tried not to pay attention to that"
The goal, if you have been let go, is to stay out of what I have always referred to as "the vortex of defeat", in which you let youself spiral into inertia and despair
Prospective employers will of course ask you about why you left your last job. Come right out and say you were asked to move on.
Just as important, take responsibility for your departure. His ownership of the situation made him infinitely more appealing than the typical kind of defense I heard a hundred times "my boss was really difficult" or "they dont care about the customers as much as I do" or "it was all politics there. It never mattered what you did; all that mattered was who you knew"
Compare that with Charlie's approach - even recognising he was on the far end of rationality! when he got back into the job market; he didnt blame a soul but himself. He told interviewers what he learned from the experience and what he would do differently in his next job. "I am determined to be more externally focused from now on, and "I will definitely move faster on underperforming people, One of my objectives is to prove I dont make the same mistakes twice
If you have been let go, you NEVER want to present yourself with a swagger. But you do need to project REALISM and OPTIMISM. Draw on your reservoir of CONFIDENCE. Say what happened, say what you have LEARNED and never be afraid to ask "JUST GIVE ME A CHANCE"
Someone will
No comments:
Post a Comment